It worked, finally! This is the project I've been struggling with for days:
Another book that was of no real use anymore (a several years old workshop programme) got put to a new use: decoration. Here's a side view of it:
And this is its story: My mother used to make such book sculptures a while ago and I spent quite some time trying to figure out how I could make one that would look like a star. I did, eventually, and folded approximately 100 sheets (200 pages - that took a few hours...), only to find that the glued spine was impossible to bend. I got only half a circle. :(
Some tips from my mother (and the reassurance that she had somehow made it work before - even with glued spines), made me try again and I sat down with a knife to scrape a part of the glue off - as much as possible without the pages falling off - and scratch thin fissures into it, hoping it would bend then.
The result was better than before but still not a proper circle. I had to use a lot of glue and fixate it over night so it would stay in shape. Now it does and I'm quite amazed at the result! Two days ago, I really couldn't imagine it to ever look like this. :)